Re: [HACKERS] Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)
Дата
Ответ на Re: [HACKERS] Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Ответы Re: [HACKERS] Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
Список pgsql-docs
> On 2/3/14, 8:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That's a very fair question.  It's a reasonable bet that pretty much
>> nobody actually looks at the text versions of either HISTORY or
>> regress_README anymore.  It's conceivable that somebody somewhere makes
>> use of the text version of INSTALL when trying to get PG going on some
>> bare-bones platform ... but really, can't they look it up on the net?
>> How'd they get the PG sources they're installing, anyway?

> I think having an INSTALL file is good form, and it costs us little to
> maintain it.

> The other files could be removed, IMO.

That seems like a reasonable compromise to me.  The HISTORY file is
certainly the worst pain-in-the-rear among these, since it's generated
from files that we change constantly, and so we're always tripping over
the link restrictions.