Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 06:59, Justin Clift wrote:
>> The only thing that makes me wince is that we have a protocol change at
>> PostgreSQL 7.4 release instead of 8.0.

> ...which is why I'd advocate making this release an 8.0 regardless of
> win32 or pitr.

<shrug> ... The backend will still talk to old clients, and libpq will
still talk to old backends, so I don't think the protocol change is
really going to cause a flag day for anyone.  On a technical level it's
probably not an adequate reason to call this release 8.0.

On the other hand, I dislike the notion that we would call a release 8.0
simply because it now has a native Windows port.  (And if there is a
short release cycle after this one, that might be about the only big new
thing there.)  Considering that we aren't going to be recommending the
Windows port for production work, we should not let the release
numbering give the impression we think it's the greatest Postgres
feature ever to come down the pike.

I'm happy to keep calling 'em 7.* for the foreseeable future, myself.