Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Дата
Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> One thing that bothers me slightly is that we would need to look up each
> name (at least until we found a match) for each connection. If you had
> lots of names in your pg_hba.conf that could be quite a hit.

A possible answer to that is to *not* look up the names from
pg_hba.conf, but instead restrict the feature to matching the
reverse-DNS name of the client.  This limits the cost to one lookup per
connection instead of N (and it'd be essentially free if you have
log_hostnames turned on, since we already do that lookup in that case).

I'm not sure about the relative usefulness of this compared to the
forward-lookup case, nor whether it's riskier or less risky from a
spoofing point of view.  But something to consider.