Re: VACUUM FULL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: VACUUM FULL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Brian McCane <bmccane@mccons.net> writes:
> Okay, now I am a little scared.  Before I started rebuilding indexes, I
> decided to do the VACUUM FULL thing on all of my tables.  On my two most
> referenced tables I am getting:

> ERROR:  No one parent tuple was found

Oh, that's interesting.  We've gotten sporadic reports of that error
message but no one's ever submitted a reproducible case.  Don't suppose
you want to trace through VACUUM FULL with a debugger (or let someone
else do so) to see why it's getting confused?

FWIW, I don't think you need fear data loss.  VACUUM FULL has some, um,
quite baroque code to deal with moving update chains as a unit, and it's
just reporting that it couldn't figure out how to move what looked like
a tuple chain.

AFAIK this situation can only occur when there are open transactions
that can still see some already-replaced tuple.  So the error would
probably go away if you closed all your open transactions.