Re: updated emacs configuration

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: updated emacs configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I think before doing any serious testing we would need to lay out how
> many changes and what changes in formatting we would allow and what kind
> of enforced formatting rules we think are required.

Well, we certainly never applied any such analysis to pgindent.  I
personally don't mind leaving corner cases to the judgment of the tool
author ... of course, what's a corner case and what's important may be
in the eye of the beholder.  But it's surely a bug, for instance, that
pgindent is so clueless about function pointers.

> Being at least one of the persons having mentioned astyle to Alvaro, I
> had tested that once and I thought the results were resembling something
> reasonable after an hour of fiddling or so. But there were certain
> things that I could not be make it do during that. The only thing I
> remember now was reducing the indentation of parameters to the left if
> the line length got to long. Now, I personally think that's an
> anti-feature, but I am not sure if others think differently.

I never particularly cared for that behavior either.  It probably made
sense back in the video-terminal days, when your view of a program was
80 columns period.  These days I think most people can use a wider
window at need --- not that I want to adopt wider lines as standard, but
the readability tradeoff between not having lines wrap versus messing up
the indentation seems like it's probably different now.

Сообщение: Re: changeset generation v5-01 - Patches & git tree
Сообщение: Re: changeset generation v5-01 - Patches & git tree