Re: updated emacs configuration

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: updated emacs configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-06-27 17:31:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Really, we should get out of patched BSD indent entirely already.  How
> > about astyle, for instance?  I'm told that with some sensible options,
> > the diff to what we have now is not very large, and several things
> > actually become sensible (such as function pointer decls, which are
> > messed up rather badly by pgindent)
>
> AFAIR, no one has ever done a serious comparison to anything except GNU
> indent, and (at least at the time) it seemed to have bugs as bad as
> pgindent's, just different ones.  I'm certainly open to another choice
> as long as we don't lose on portability of the tool.  But who will do
> the legwork to test something else?

I think before doing any serious testing we would need to lay out how
many changes and what changes in formatting we would allow and what kind
of enforced formatting rules we think are required.

Being at least one of the persons having mentioned astyle to Alvaro, I
had tested that once and I thought the results were resembling something
reasonable after an hour of fiddling or so. But there were certain
things that I could not be make it do during that. The only thing I
remember now was reducing the indentation of parameters to the left if
the line length got to long. Now, I personally think that's an
anti-feature, but I am not sure if others think differently.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services