Re: updated emacs configuration

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: updated emacs configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> > Being at least one of the persons having mentioned astyle to Alvaro, I
> > had tested that once and I thought the results were resembling something
> > reasonable after an hour of fiddling or so. But there were certain
> > things that I could not be make it do during that. The only thing I
> > remember now was reducing the indentation of parameters to the left if
> > the line length got to long. Now, I personally think that's an
> > anti-feature, but I am not sure if others think differently.
>
> I never particularly cared for that behavior either.  It probably made
> sense back in the video-terminal days, when your view of a program was
> 80 columns period.

I've never liked that either; I am a fan of keeping things to 80
columns, but when things get longer I prefer my editor to wrap them to
the next line without the silly de-indent (or not wrap, if I tell it not
to.)

Another benefit of more modern tools is that there's no need for a
typedef file, which is great when you're trying to indent after a patch
which adds some more typedefs that are not listed in the file.

> These days I think most people can use a wider
> window at need --- not that I want to adopt wider lines as standard, but
> the readability tradeoff between not having lines wrap versus messing up
> the indentation seems like it's probably different now.

Agreed.  I would be sad if we adopted a policy of sloppiness on width.