Re:

От Waldemar Bergstreiser
Тема Re:
Дата
Re:  (Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>)
Список pgsql-general

> >> from a full join b on (a.id=b.id)
> >> full join c on (b.id=c.id)
> >> full join d
> >>

> > I guess, you don't get it. Probably so
>
> I don't get it either.  by *= do you mean the Oracle-style outer join?
> in which case why is this not just
>
> select * from a,
> left outer join b on (a.b_id = b.id)
> left outer join c on (b.c_id = c.id)
> left outer join d on (a.d_id = d.id)
> left outer join f  on (d.f_id = f.id)

The equal expression would be like this:

select * from a
left outer join (b left outer join c on (b.c_id = c.id) ) on (a.b_id = b.id)
left outer join (d left outer join f  on (d.f_id = f.id) ) on (a.d_id = d.id)

and that is a double length of original SQL and has not very clear syntax in my opinion.
Additionally it can be very funny if we try to append a join conditions like "c.iso = d.iso"

> You can parenthesize it different ways but I think the result in this
> case is actually the same.

I'm not sure.

> > select * from a left outer join b on (a.b_id=b.id) ....
> >
> > But I don't see any clear way to specify that table C should be outer joined only if we got a row from table B.
>
> Well that would be the default since if you get no row from b b.c_id
> will be null.

and if I have a row in table C where c.id is null? A don't know.

I found a good explanation about informix outer joins.

http://savage.net.au/SQL/outer-joins.html

Please take a look at that.

Neu: WEB.DE Doppel-FLAT mit Internet-Flatrate + Telefon-Flatrate
für nur 19,99 Euro/mtl.!* http://produkte.web.de/go/02/