Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

От MauMau
Тема Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> No.  They are FATAL so far as the individual session is concerned.
> Possibly some documentation effort is needed here, but I don't think
> any change in the code behavior would be an improvement.

You are suggesting that we should add a note like "Don't worry about the
following message.  This is a result of normal connectivity checking", don't
you?

FATAL:  the database system is starting up

But I doubt most users would recognize such notes.  Anyway, lots of such
messages certainly make monitoring and troubleshooting harder, because
valuable messages are buried.

>> 4. FATAL:  sorry, too many clients already
>> Report these as FATAL to the client because the client wants to know the
>> reason.  But don't output them to server log because they are not
>> necessary
>> for DBAs (4 is subtle.)
>
> The notion that a DBA should not be allowed to find out how often #4 is
> happening is insane.

I thought someone would point out so.  You are right, #4 is a strong hint
for the DBA about max_connection setting or connection pool configuration.

Regards
MauMau