Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Дата
Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Список pgsql-hackers
"MauMau" <maumau307@gmail.com> writes:
> Shouldn't we lower the severity or avoiding those messages to server log?

No.  They are FATAL so far as the individual session is concerned.
Possibly some documentation effort is needed here, but I don't think
any change in the code behavior would be an improvement.

> 1. FATAL:  the database system is starting up
> 2. FATAL:  the database system is shutting down
> 3. FATAL:  the database system is in recovery mode
> 4. FATAL:  sorry, too many clients already
> Report these as FATAL to the client because the client wants to know the
> reason.  But don't output them to server log because they are not necessary
> for DBAs (4 is subtle.)

The notion that a DBA should not be allowed to find out how often #4 is
happening is insane.