Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 13:04, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> Is it more desirable to have a single java vm and communicate via RPC,
>> or some other mechanism?

> If you fire up the jvm at connection creation time rather than at first
> pljava function call, wouldn't that make things much simpler and faster
> per process?

You could possibly support both approaches by using the "library preload"
mechanism that Joe Conway developed recently.  That is, the DBA can
either:

* Preload pljava, whereupon a JVM is created by the postmaster, and the
connection to this JVM is passed down to each backend and shared by
them.

* Do nothing, whereupon each backend that actually makes any pljava
function calls would have to start a JVM upon its first call.

I could see either of these approaches being the more efficient,
depending on how much pljava work is done in a given installation.
So being able to support both seems attractive.