Re: windows distribution

От Keith C. Perry
Тема Re: windows distribution
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Quoting "Tony (Unihost)" <tony@unihost.net>:

> A good indicator of the demand that there is for a native Win32 port.  I
> know it's already in the works, but I think that the upswing in
> popularity of PG will be huge once the port is complete.
>
> Whether you love or loath Windows, it's hard to ignore the potential
> market share for a project like PG.  IMHO it's one of the keys to the
> success of MySQL, but I won't dredge up that ol' chestnut.
>
> Cheers
>
> T.
>
> 'Opinions Are Like Navels,  Everybody Has One!'
>

> Russ Brown wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:11:51 -0800 (PST), Jeff Eckermann
> > <jeff_eckermann@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> There is no native Windows version of PostgreSQL, yet.
> >>  Plenty of people use Cygwin emulation to run
> >> PostgreSQL on Windows.  Reports are that it runs well
> >> enough, but doesn't scale too well.  There also exists
> >> a beta (proof of concept?) port of PostgreSQL 7.2 by
> >> PeerDirect.  This is reported to work pretty well, but
> >> is not supported by the PostgreSQL development group.
> >> You can read more about these options at
> >> http://techdocs.postgresql.org .
> >>
> >> A native Windows port is being actively developed at
> >> present.  No-one knows when it will be completed, but
> >> we hope it will be ready for the next release, maybe
> >> another four to six months.

> >> New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing.
> >> http://photos.yahoo.com/
> >>
> >> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
> >> your
> >>       joining column's datatypes do not match
> >

> > This question appears to have been posted to the lists pretty much
> > every other day lately. Perhaps this information needs to be more
> > prominently displayed on the front page of the site: perhaps a box
> > containing logos for all major platforms linking either directly to
> > the Downloads page or to more information on using PostgreSQL on that
> > platform. I reckon that would do the trick.

I'm not familiar with the cygwin environment but is there something about that
is turning off users to using it to run PG?

It seems to me we should be seeing *more* ports about how PG is performing on
cygwin instead of questions about a native port- especially from new users.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: