Re: Running multiple versions

От prakashn@uci.edu
Тема Re: Running multiple versions
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> So assuming all this is done in regular userland. built from source
> etc, you'll need to do a couple things.  Each version needs to be
> built with a different --prefix.  I prefer something like
> --prefix=/home/myusername/pg83 and --prefix=/home/myusername/pg91 and
> so on.  This will put the bin, lib etc stuff in your home dir.  Then
> in order to do work in one setup or the other, make a you'll need to
> set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PGDATA accordingly for each instance.

Thanks for your reply, Scott.  Your suggestion sounds like it would be
fine, but I have a few more questions now.  The docs at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/upgrading.html recommend
using the new version's pg_dumpall to back up the existing cluster for
reload.  In light of your reply, it seems you pretty much *have* to change
the pg superuser's LD_LIBRARY_PATH first.  If that's the case, it seems
the docs should mention that you need to do this, as it's somewhat
non-obvious.

Also, I have root access, so if there's a better solution outside of
regular user land, I'd like to know it.

Finally, the installation docs
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/install-procedure.html)
mention "relocatable installs" and --disable-rpath.  Would *that* be a way
to configure the new version so that calling its .../bin/pg_dumpall (and
other things in bin) would just magically use the right .../lib/
directory?

Thanks,

nishad