Re: Running multiple versions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Running multiple versions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
prakashn@uci.edu writes:
> Thanks for your reply, Scott.  Your suggestion sounds like it would be
> fine, but I have a few more questions now.  The docs at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/upgrading.html recommend
> using the new version's pg_dumpall to back up the existing cluster for
> reload.  In light of your reply, it seems you pretty much *have* to change
> the pg superuser's LD_LIBRARY_PATH first.

IMO you should not be depending on LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all; getting it
right in a multi-installation scenario is simply too error-prone.  Each
installation should be built with an rpath specification that points at
its library directory.  End of problem.

--disable-rpath is really only useful when building packages for
distributions that have distro policy against using rpath (because
all shared libraries are supposed to be placed in system directories).
It's not a good idea in any case where you have to put the libraries
in non-system-standard directories.