Re: tar, but not gnu tar

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: tar, but not gnu tar
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Tena Sakai" <tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu> writes:
>> This seems to contradict what we say about GNU tar?
>> Is this GNU tar?  What version?

> Yes, it is GNU tar v1.14

FWIW, I tried this on Fedora Core 6 while running pgbench:

[tgl@rh2 ~]$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1
[tgl@rh2 ~]$ tar cf t.tar $PGDATA
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /home/tgl/testversion/data/pg_xlog/000000010000000000000003: file changed as we read it
[tgl@rh2 ~]$ echo $?
0
[tgl@rh2 ~]$

ISTR that the original caution was against writing scripts that assume
anything being emitted to stderr must indicate a problem.