Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL configuration  (Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Honza Pazdziora <adelton@informatics.muni.cz> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 10:31:44AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It seems that MySQL *will* read /etc/my.cnf if it
>> exists, whether it's appropriate or not, and so it's impossible to have
>> a truly independent test installation, even though you can configure it
>> to build/install into nonstandard directories.  Let's not emulate that
>> bit of brain damage.

> A counterexample of Apache shows that you can easily use -f or another
> command line option to point the server to alternate master config
> file (which I believe is the same with MySQL).

According to
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Using_MySQL_Programs.html#Option_files
/etc/my.cnf will be read if it exists, no matter what you say on the
command line.  So AFAICS the only way to make a private installation is
to make sure that you have overridden each and every setting in
/etc/my.cnf in a private config file that you do control.  This is
tedious and breakage-prone, of course.