Re: [GENERAL] Language support of postgresql

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Language support of postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Martel, Hong" <Hong.Martel@saabsensis.com> writes:
> As I understand, currently Postgres doesn$B!G(Bt support Chinese encoding GBK and BIG5 on both server and client
side,only UNICODE.  Is it true?  Are there any plans for postgresql team to implement GBK and BIG5 encoding anytime
soon?

Yes, and no.  There's basically zero chance that we'll ever allow these
ecodings as server-side encodings, because they aren't strict ASCII
supersets (that is, not all bytes of a multibyte character are
individually distinguishable from an ASCII character).  The amount of
work involved, and the ongoing hazard of security bugs that would ensue,
is just prohibitive.

We do however support them as client-side encodings with automatic
translation to and from Unicode on the server.

От: John R Pierce
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Language support of postgresql
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Language support of postgresql