Re: [GENERAL] Language support of postgresql

От John R Pierce
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Language support of postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 4/28/2017 7:45 AM, Martel, Hong wrote:

As I understand, currently Postgres doesn’t support Chinese encoding GBK and BIG5 on both server and client side, only UNICODE.  Is it true?  Are there any plans for postgresql team to implement GBK and BIG5 encoding anytime soon?

Are there any alternative solutions for this besides switching our database to Oracle or others that support the encodings?  One of our customers insists that we need to support all three encoding (BIG5, GB2312 and UNICODE).  We would love to stick to Postgres if there is any alternative way to solve the problem without incurring big cost.

I thought Postgres supported client_encodings of BIG5, GB18030, and GBK, all of which can be stored in the server using either UTF8 or MULE_INTERNAL (MultiLingual EMACS) encodings for internal storage ?