Re: effective_cache_size vs units

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: effective_cache_size vs units
Дата
Re: effective_cache_size vs units  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: effective_cache_size vs units  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Perhaps it would be more effective to clarify the error message?  Right
> now it just says something to the effect of "invalid integer".  I'd
> imagine "invalid memory unit: TB" would be less confusing.

+1 on that, but I think we should just accept the strings
case-insensitively, too.  SQL in general is not case sensitive for
keywords, and neither is anything else in the postgresql.conf file,
so I argue it's inconsistent to be strict about the case for units.

Nor do I believe that we'd ever accept a future patch that made
the distinction between "kb" and "kB" significant --- if you think
people are confused now, just imagine what would happen then.