Re: AUTOVACUUM after purging a lot of records

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: AUTOVACUUM after purging a lot of records
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Jeni Fifrick <jfifrick@incomm.com> wrote:

> Is it normal for vacumm to run that long (23 hour)?

It can be.  The autovacuum workers are "paced" so that their
resource usage is limited.  This spreads out the work, to minimize
impact on foreground processes.  In some cases the default
configuration is not aggressive enough to keep up overall, but that
should be what you look at, not whether a particular worker takes
days on a particular table -- that in itself doesn't indicate a
problem.

> Is there a way to verify whether the vacuum process is running
> properly and making any progress?

Use OS tools (like top or ps) to check whether the process is still
consuming resources.

> Can I increase the maintenance_work_mem parameter to make the
> existing process faster?

That is one of many settings which are often tuned.  If you really
want to cause that table to finish quickly, you could just start a
VACUUM ANALYZE command for that table.  The autovacuum run will
cancel to make room for it, and the command default to running full
speed rather than pacing its work.  You could set
maintenance_work_mem or cost-based pacing for the command in the
session before running the command to optimize it or pace it.

> Do you think it’s better to do VACUUM FULL, consider the amount
> of records deleted?

That depends on how much data is left and whether you can afford to
have the table exclusively locked while its data is copied and
re-indexed.

> Any other input/recommendation you can give us?

If you expect to purge sets of data like that, and you know what
purge group a row belongs in at the time it is inserted, you should
probably look at partitioning.  There's no faster way to drop
millions of rows from a table than to drop the partition they are
in.

> We’re using Vpostgres version 9.1.3

If you want to stay with 9.1 for now, you should upgrade to the
latest minor release.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

> on CentOS 6.3. 12 cores and 64 GB memory.
> But, we’re using default setup.

With a machine that size, you definitely should tune several
settings.  The defaults are geared more toward being able to
"install and go" on a low-end laptop.  Serious servers need tuning.

If you really are at the default configuration (including
max_connections), the following would almost certainly be
improvements:

shared_buffers = 8GB
effective_cache_size = 32GB
work_mem = 160MB
maintenance_work_mem = 2GB
wal_buffers = 32MB
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
checkpoint_segments = 64
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = 800
cpu_tuple_cost = 0.03

Depending on the size of your active data set, you may also want to
reduce random_page_cost; but you didn't provide enough information
to know that.  That's hardly a complete list, but it should help
with performance on most servers and workloads with the RAM and
cores you describe.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com