Re: BI tools and PostgreSQL

От David Johnston
Тема Re: BI tools and PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Victor Tan wrote
> BI tools all generate SQL with varying levels of optimization.  However,
> do
> any of you know of any BI tools that are more PostgreSQL aware in that
> they
> can generate queries that take advantage of extensions like hstore, arrays
> etc?
>
> Hstore and JSON data types use non-standard syntax within PostgreSQL - not
> that I know of anything in the SQL standards that say how to handle KV
> types in the style of hstore.
>
> Which BI tools, if any, either are aware of PostgreSQL in this way or at
> least minimize hindrances to using these types of data types or
> extensions?
>
> - Victor Tan

Native support is probably "zero" as Simon is implying.

Most BI ends up needing scalar values for calculations and display.  Two
dynamics resulting because of this: either you have to supply your own SQL
in the BI tool and perform the needed conversions or you can create a BI
integration layer within your model so the tools can hit pre-defined schema
with the conversions already in place and the SQL the tools generate can be
used as-is.

I get what you are saying but all I am coming up with more questions to ask
regarding your use-case.  For better and worse most tool developers want to
be vendor agnostic to the largest degree possible.  The good news is there
are a number of open-source projects that may suffice and that with a strong
enough need a PostgreSQL specific module could be developed.  Unless you are
willing to try and sponsor some of that work I'd suggest being open with you
needs and desires and give others a chance to buy into and leverage the
ideas and suggestions and thus ideally increase the demand for such.

David J.