Обсуждение: BI tools and PostgreSQL

BI tools and PostgreSQL

От
Victor Tan
Дата:
BI tools all generate SQL with varying levels of optimization.  However, do any of you know of any BI tools that are more PostgreSQL aware in that they can generate queries that take advantage of extensions like hstore, arrays etc?

Hstore and JSON data types use non-standard syntax within PostgreSQL - not that I know of anything in the SQL standards that say how to handle KV types in the style of hstore.

Which BI tools, if any, either are aware of PostgreSQL in this way or at least minimize hindrances to using these types of data types or extensions?

- Victor Tan

Re: BI tools and PostgreSQL

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 4 November 2013 19:18, Victor Tan <victortcs@gmail.com> wrote:

> BI tools all generate SQL with varying levels of optimization.  However, do
> any of you know of any BI tools that are more PostgreSQL aware in that they
> can generate queries that take advantage of extensions like hstore, arrays
> etc?
>
> Hstore and JSON data types use non-standard syntax within PostgreSQL - not
> that I know of anything in the SQL standards that say how to handle KV types
> in the style of hstore.

> Which BI tools, if any, either are aware of PostgreSQL in this way or at
> least minimize hindrances to using these types of data types or extensions?

Probably the same number as support SQLSwerver sparse columns, MiSQL
equivalents and Mogno BSON.

Re: BI tools and PostgreSQL

От
David Johnston
Дата:
Victor Tan wrote
> BI tools all generate SQL with varying levels of optimization.  However,
> do
> any of you know of any BI tools that are more PostgreSQL aware in that
> they
> can generate queries that take advantage of extensions like hstore, arrays
> etc?
>
> Hstore and JSON data types use non-standard syntax within PostgreSQL - not
> that I know of anything in the SQL standards that say how to handle KV
> types in the style of hstore.
>
> Which BI tools, if any, either are aware of PostgreSQL in this way or at
> least minimize hindrances to using these types of data types or
> extensions?
>
> - Victor Tan

Native support is probably "zero" as Simon is implying.

Most BI ends up needing scalar values for calculations and display.  Two
dynamics resulting because of this: either you have to supply your own SQL
in the BI tool and perform the needed conversions or you can create a BI
integration layer within your model so the tools can hit pre-defined schema
with the conversions already in place and the SQL the tools generate can be
used as-is.

I get what you are saying but all I am coming up with more questions to ask
regarding your use-case.  For better and worse most tool developers want to
be vendor agnostic to the largest degree possible.  The good news is there
are a number of open-source projects that may suffice and that with a strong
enough need a PostgreSQL specific module could be developed.  Unless you are
willing to try and sponsor some of that work I'd suggest being open with you
needs and desires and give others a chance to buy into and leverage the
ideas and suggestions and thus ideally increase the demand for such.

David J.