Re: Connecting to a remote db server

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Connecting to a remote db server
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Struckhoff, Kevin" <kstruckhoff@ebay.com> wrote:
> From: Kevin Grittner [mailto:kgrittn@ymail.com]
>> "Struckhoff, Kevin" <kstruckhoff@ebay.com> wrote:

>>> I've installed postgres 9.2 on a server, call it db01. I now want
>>> to access postgres from my app server, call it app01.

>>> It seems that something else is missing or needs to be done.

>> How are you trying to connect, and what happens when you try?

> I'm trying to use the psql tool:
>
> /home/postgres->psql test
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Since you didn't specify a host, it's looking on your local
machine.  What happens if you run?:

psql -h app01 test

You can look at the connection options by running:

psql --help

... or by reading the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/app-psql.html

... or by using the man page, if available.

By the way, I believe that most server distributions include all
the client software, but you could probably find a client-only
package on most platforms.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company