Re: pg_dump, pg_restore from 9.2 on 8.4 server

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: pg_dump, pg_restore from 9.2 on 8.4 server
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 20:53 +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> 2013/7/3 Jiří Hlinka <jiri.hlinka@gmail.com>:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a 8.4 server and I'd like to use --section parameter of pg_dump and
> > pg_restore, which is available only in 9.2.
> >
> > 1. Is it, in general, safe to use 9.2  tools on 8.4 server? AFAIK the tools
> > are backward compatible, at least in case of plain SQL commands it should be
> > compatible, right?
>
> pg_dump is backwards-compatible all the way to 7.0; see:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-pgdump.html#PG-DUMP-NOTES

Sure, but you may not be able to restore it on a less recent release
(ie, in that case, previous than 9.2). If you use a 9.2 pg_dump, you'll
be garanteed to restore it on 9.2 and upper, not lower (not 8.4 for
instance).

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info