Обсуждение: pg_dump, pg_restore from 9.2 on 8.4 server

pg_dump, pg_restore from 9.2 on 8.4 server

От
Jiří Hlinka
Дата:
Hi All,

I have a 8.4 server and I'd like to use --section parameter of pg_dump and pg_restore, which is available only in 9.2.

1. Is it, in general, safe to use 9.2  tools on 8.4 server? AFAIK the tools are backward compatible, at least in case of plain SQL commands it should be compatible, right?

2. Does the --section parameter need support on a server side, or is it just the client tool feature?

Thanks,

Jiri

Re: pg_dump, pg_restore from 9.2 on 8.4 server

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
2013/7/3 Jiří Hlinka <jiri.hlinka@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a 8.4 server and I'd like to use --section parameter of pg_dump and
> pg_restore, which is available only in 9.2.
>
> 1. Is it, in general, safe to use 9.2  tools on 8.4 server? AFAIK the tools
> are backward compatible, at least in case of plain SQL commands it should be
> compatible, right?

pg_dump is backwards-compatible all the way to 7.0; see:
 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-pgdump.html#PG-DUMP-NOTES

> 2. Does the --section parameter need support on a server side, or is it just
> the client tool feature?

It's a pg_dump feature; it seems to work fine using 9.3b2's dump
against an 8.3 database.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: pg_dump, pg_restore from 9.2 on 8.4 server

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 20:53 +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> 2013/7/3 Jiří Hlinka <jiri.hlinka@gmail.com>:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a 8.4 server and I'd like to use --section parameter of pg_dump and
> > pg_restore, which is available only in 9.2.
> >
> > 1. Is it, in general, safe to use 9.2  tools on 8.4 server? AFAIK the tools
> > are backward compatible, at least in case of plain SQL commands it should be
> > compatible, right?
>
> pg_dump is backwards-compatible all the way to 7.0; see:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-pgdump.html#PG-DUMP-NOTES

Sure, but you may not be able to restore it on a less recent release
(ie, in that case, previous than 9.2). If you use a 9.2 pg_dump, you'll
be garanteed to restore it on 9.2 and upper, not lower (not 8.4 for
instance).

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info