Re: Using oid with RServ w/ Postgresql 7.2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Using oid with RServ w/ Postgresql 7.2
Дата
Re: Using oid with RServ w/ Postgresql 7.2  (Will LaShell <will@lashell.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
Will LaShell <will@lashell.net> writes:
> My question would then be, are there any problems/reasons or hints with
> using the oid field as the field that the rserv trigger is set on?
> We will be using rserv in a production environment so I'm looking at
> this as not just an academic solution but a real world one.

This is risky for a long-lived database.  Things will work fine until
the OID counter wraps around (ie, more than 4 billion rows inserted
into your database).  After that you have a risk of OID collisions.

You can prevent the worst problems by installing a unique index on OID
on each replicated table; but then you may occasionally get unexpected
"duplicate key" errors.

My advice would be to add a serial8 column to each table and use that
as the replication primary key.