Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
P G <pg_dba@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
> and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
> or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
> system.

Upgrading seems risky.  If you run into incompatibilities, will you be
able to revert?  I had the idea that some fairly fundamental Cobalt
services depend on their Postgres installation.

Coexistence, on the other hand, is trivial.  Just pick a different
installation prefix, data directory, and port number for the 7.3
installation.  For instance,
    configure --prefix=/usr/local/something --with-pgport=5433