Обсуждение: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?

How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?

От
P G
Дата:
I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
system.  Does anyone have or know where I can find
instructions on how to do either of those options?
This apparently is not a simple upgrade, because the
Cobalt XTR relies on PostgreSQL to support some of its
functionality and I simply cannot just remove the
database and install the new one expecting the rest of
the system to function correctly.  There is at least
one Cobalt process called swatch that I know of that
relies on libpq.so.2.1 which PostgreSQL 7.3.1 upgrades
to libpq.so.3.0 and swatch does not want to use.

TIA.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?

Дата:
P G <pg_dba@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
> and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
> or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
> system.

Upgrading seems risky.  If you run into incompatibilities, will you be
able to revert?  I had the idea that some fairly fundamental Cobalt
services depend on their Postgres installation.

Coexistence, on the other hand, is trivial.  Just pick a different
installation prefix, data directory, and port number for the 7.3
installation.  For instance,
    configure --prefix=/usr/local/something --with-pgport=5433

            regards, tom lane