Re: Pg default's verbosity?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Pg default's verbosity?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2012-06-19 at 02:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > There might be something to the idea of demoting a few of the things
> > we've traditionally had as NOTICEs, though.  IME, the following two
> > messages account for a huge percentage of the chatter:
>
> > NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "foo_a_seq" for
> > serial column "foo.a"
> > NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
> > "foo_pkey" for table "foo"
>
> Personally, I'd have no problem with flat-out dropping (not demoting)
> both of those two specific messages.  I seem to recall that Bruce has
> lobbied for them heavily in the past, though.

I don't like these messages any more than the next guy, but why drop
only those, and not any of the other NOTICE-level messages?  The meaning
of NOTICE is pretty much, if this is the first time you're using
PostgreSQL, let me tell you a little bit about how we're doing things
here.  If you've run your SQL script more than 3 times, you won't need
them anymore.  So set your client_min_messages to WARNING then.  That
should be pretty much standard for running SQL scripts, in addition to
all the other stuff listed here:
http://petereisentraut.blogspot.fi/2010/03/running-sql-scripts-with-psql.html