Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-docs

=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=bcrgen_Purtz?= <> writes:
> I wonder whether we should have a graphic showing an overview of the
> main backend processes and their interaction with memory and files -
> something like figure 15-1 of:
> https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/CNCPT/process.htm. Or is there a
> general policy to avoid graphics in our documentation - or an advice to
> use a special format for graphics?

There have been discussions about how to incorporate graphics, which
have failed to come to any consensus.  Nobody is particularly willing
to put a badly-formatted batch of raw numbers into git though, because
it'd be impossible to do any incremental updates on it and still have
useful git history.  There are also a bunch of questions about whether
the graphics would work in all the output formats we try to support.

This particular example doesn't really seem compelling enough to
justify finding a way over those hurdles ...

            regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-docs по дате сообщения:

Сообщение: Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files
Сообщение: Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files