Re: Stable Release?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Stable Release?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
>> A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL is
>> 8.1.x.  I thought it was 8.2.4.  What is the latest stable release?
>> I thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier
>> releases.  Can anyone comment?

> Sure:
> 8.3.0 is current stable release.
> 8.2.6 is current 8.2 stable release.
> 8.1.11 is current 8.1 stable release.

I wouldn't argue with a DBA who takes the position that a new major
PG branch isn't "stable" enough for him/her until it's reached the
.1 or .2 or so minor release --- that's just saying that you don't
want to be a pioneer.  But once a branch is past that point, it's
probably at least as stable as older branches.  If you look at the
patch history, an awful lot of bugs go back more than one branch,
and there are known issues in old branches that never will be fixed.
By now I would certainly consider 8.2.latest as the most stable
available release.

The correct term for 8.1 and before is not "stable" but "obsolete".
The only reason we continue to support them is for the convenience
of people who have databases too big for annual dump/reload exercises
and/or don't want to re-test their applications that often.