Обсуждение: Stable Release?

Stable Release?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Dear Admins,

A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL is
8.1.x.  I thought it was 8.2.4.  What is the latest stable release?
I thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier
releases.  Can anyone comment?

Carol

Re: Stable Release?

От
Gergely CZUCZY
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:53:35AM -0500, Carol Walter wrote:
> Dear Admins,
>
> A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL is 8.1.x.  I thought it was 8.2.4.  What is the
lateststable release?
>  I thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier releases.  Can anyone comment?
Have you tried to check out the website of the project?
Let me help you, it's http://www.postgresql.org/
I'm sure you've read it, while you was looking for this list...

Sincerely,

Gergely Czuczy,
Harmless Digital
mailto: gergely.czuczy@harmless.hu

--
Legacy software is software that works.

Вложения

Re: Stable Release?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:

> A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL is
> 8.1.x.  I thought it was 8.2.4.  What is the latest stable release?  I
> thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier releases.  Can
> anyone comment?

The sole reason we released 8.2.6 and 8.1.11 was to fix bugs found in
8.2.5 and 8.1.10, which had fixes for bugs in the earlier releases, and
so on.  If you are not on one of the latest releases, you are running a
version with known bugs.

8.1.6 in particular fixed a nasty autovac bug, which is not present on
any 8.2.

Re: Stable Release?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Stable Release?

От
Ron Mayer
Дата:
Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:53:35AM -0500, Carol Walter wrote:
>> A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL is 8.1.x.  I thought it was 8.2.4.  What is the
lateststable release?
>>  I thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier releases.  Can anyone comment?
> Have you tried to check out the website of the project?
> Let me help you, it's http://www.postgresql.org/
> I'm sure you've read it, while you was looking for this list...

I'm guessing Carol did see it but still has confusion over
whether a "major" or "latest" release is considered "stable".

I see the web site mention that 8.3's the "latest" release;
and on other pages it says 8.2.3 is the latest release[1], and
sometimes other versions[2].

With all the bizarre numbering schemes software[3] uses,
where sometimes 2.0.0 means "unstable"; perhaps it'd be
nice if our versioning page[4] explicitly said "Our major
releases are stable releases that we consider suitable for
production".

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese_trad.html
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_czech.html#item1.6
[3] http://www.linux.com/feature/45507
[4] http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

Re: Stable Release?

Дата:
> Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
>> A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL is
>> 8.1.x.  I thought it was 8.2.4.  What is the latest stable release?
>> I thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier
>> releases.  Can anyone comment?

> Sure:
> 8.3.0 is current stable release.
> 8.2.6 is current 8.2 stable release.
> 8.1.11 is current 8.1 stable release.

I wouldn't argue with a DBA who takes the position that a new major
PG branch isn't "stable" enough for him/her until it's reached the
.1 or .2 or so minor release --- that's just saying that you don't
want to be a pioneer.  But once a branch is past that point, it's
probably at least as stable as older branches.  If you look at the
patch history, an awful lot of bugs go back more than one branch,
and there are known issues in old branches that never will be fixed.
By now I would certainly consider 8.2.latest as the most stable
available release.

The correct term for 8.1 and before is not "stable" but "obsolete".
The only reason we continue to support them is for the convenience
of people who have databases too big for annual dump/reload exercises
and/or don't want to re-test their applications that often.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Stable Release?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
I appreciate all your comments.  I knew I'd be opening a kettle of
fish with the question.  I have been all over the postgres site but I
didn't feel I got a straight -forward answer to my question.  When I
had read the docs and still didn't know the answer, I went to you
guys for a definitive answer.  Let me tell you why I want to know.
The colleague I mentioned in my previous message is our Unix System
Admin.  He just built a new web-server.  Our web is dependent on
postgres for all it's database work.  We may have a strange division
of labor here.  The sys admin makes the packages.  I usually add
them, but I don't support our web server.  The Unix Admin told me
that he was going to put 8.1 on the new server, he is building
because that's the latest stable version and besides he doesn't want
to build a new postgres package there.  All of my machines that are
running postgres have 8.2.4.  I understood this to be a stable
release and I've had no trouble with it.  I was taken aback by this
other information that my colleague had given me, hence the reason
for my question.

Carol

On Feb 21, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Ron Mayer wrote:

> Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:53:35AM -0500, Carol Walter wrote:
>>> A colleague told me that the latest stable release of PostgreSQL
>>> is 8.1.x.  I thought it was 8.2.4.  What is the latest stable
>>> release?
>>>  I thought there was a problem with autovacuum in the earlier
>>> releases.  Can anyone comment?
>> Have you tried to check out the website of the project?
>> Let me help you, it's http://www.postgresql.org/
>> I'm sure you've read it, while you was looking for this list...
>>

> I'm guessing Carol did see it but still has confusion over
> whether a "major" or "latest" release is considered "stable".
>
> I see the web site mention that 8.3's the "latest" release;
> and on other pages it says 8.2.3 is the latest release[1], and
> sometimes other versions[2].
>
> With all the bizarre numbering schemes software[3] uses,
> where sometimes 2.0.0 means "unstable"; perhaps it'd be
> nice if our versioning page[4] explicitly said "Our major
> releases are stable releases that we consider suitable for
> production".
>

> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_chinese_trad.html
> [2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_czech.html#item1.6
> [3] http://www.linux.com/feature/45507
> [4] http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

Re: Stable Release?

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:

>  them, but I don't support our web server.  The Unix Admin told me
>  that he was going to put 8.1 on the new server, he is building
>  because that's the latest stable version and besides he doesn't want
>  to build a new postgres package there.

His laziness aside (the good kind) not wanting to build a package is
kind of a poor excuse.  If you're running RHEL or Fedora, the PGDG
rpms should work fine.  If you're running debian or ubuntu, then 8.2
is available for most of those versions.  8.2 is MUCH better than 8.1.
 It has a couple of features that make it much nicer than 8.1 in
production.

> All of my machines that are
>  running postgres have 8.2.4.

If you need to move data from there to production you're going to have
issues getting it from 8.2 and into 8.1. It is NOT your Unix SA's job
to decide which version of postgresql to support, it is you, the DBA
who should be deciding that.  He should be supporting you in that
choice.

>  I understood this to be a stable
>  release and I've had no trouble with it.  I was taken aback by this
>  other information that my colleague had given me, hence the reason
>  for my question.

I don't think he has any evidence to back up his claim.  also, 8.2.4
is not the latest stable, 8.2.6 is.  It's a good idea to keep up with
patch releases in pgsql.

Re: Stable Release?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"