Re: Solaris Postgres

От Zdenek Kotala
Тема Re: Solaris Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
John R Pierce píše v so 26. 09. 2009 v 09:44 -0700:

> >> I'm curious if anyone has a clue how long before Sun releases PG 8.4.x
> >> in Solaris 'patch' format ...
> >>

> > Currently S10 is shipped with three version (8.1, 8.2, 8.3) of
> > PostgreSQL. There is no plan to integrate PG8.4 into S10 at this moment.
> > However I'm finalizing integration into Nevada and 8.4 will appear in
> > the next OpenSolaris release.
> >

> ok, I asked because I'm pretty sure Sol10 originally only came with 8.1,
> and 8.2 then later 8.3 were added as part of incremental updates (don't
> know offhand which update added what)
>
> so, in mainstream solaris as opposed to opensolaris, 8.4 isn't likely to
> be released any time soon?

No. If somebody will approve to integrate it into S10 (some people does
not like idea to have four version of PostgreSQL inside :-). PG8.4 could
appear in S10 update 9 which will be released in first half of next
year. But, S10U9 new feature deadline window is coming...

> I asked because we're working on an inhouse app using postgres, the team
> wants to use 8.4...   I had previously packaged 8.3.7 in solaris package
> format only to have it come out as a patch a month or two later, so I
> was hoping to save myself the redundant effort.

You can use community build [1] which is compiled similar way as
official Solaris packages. Or you have to wait to Solaris next release.

        Zdenek

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/download/solaris