Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure
Дата
Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure
Список pgsql-admin
"Iain" <iain@mst.co.jp> writes:
> It seems that this kind of thing pops up from time to time. I don't have v8
> available right now to check, but is SQL_ASCII still the default DB
> encoding? I'm wondering is unicode wouldn't be a better choice these days.

IIRC you can select the default encoding at build time, so this is
really a question for packagers not the development team.

You make a good point though --- I'm a bit tempted to make it default to
UNICODE for the Red Hat build, since Red Hat is pretty gung-ho on UTF8
support these days.

BTW, SQL_ASCII is not so much an encoding as the absence of any encoding
choice; it just passes 8-bit data with no interpretation.  So it's not
*that* unreasonable a default.  You can store UTF8 data in it without
any problem, you just won't have the niceties like detection of bad
character sequences.

Сообщение: Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure
Сообщение: Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure