Re: Databases in memory (-->flashdrive problem)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Databases in memory (-->flashdrive problem)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk> writes:
>> Sure: keep the database on a RAM-drive (this will mean an initdb and
>> data load on each bootup, hope you can stand that) and use pg_dump to
>> a text file on flashdrive as your backup mechanism.  Use a cron task
>> to run pg_dump at whatever frequency suits you.

> Wouldn't it be possible/better to just do recursive filesystem copy
> between RAM drive and the flash drive?

> Obviously that would be before starting postmaster and after stopping
> it using cpio or whatever tool is prefered.

You could do it that way.  I like the pg_dump idea better, because
(a) you can take a pg_dump snapshot without stopping the database, and
(b) the pg_dump output will likely be smaller than the raw database
files.  However, the recursive copy would allow faster startup at
system boot (recursive copy back to RAMdisk is probably faster than
initdb + load pg_dump script --- though this assumption should be
tested).  You pays your money and you takes your choice...