Re: postgresql scalability, active-active cluster

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: postgresql scalability, active-active cluster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 06:55 -0800, brian stone wrote:
> Are there any built in tools or 3rd party tools for distributing a
> postgresql database?  I need an active active configuration; master-
> master with fail over.  The project I am working needs to support a
> very large number of transactions a second. It will eventually require
> a main frame, or some absurd hardware.  It makes much more sense to
> consider a clustered configuration.  DB requests come in from a row of
> application servers.  It would be nice if these requests could be
> distributed.

Consider pgpool, and look at the partitioning feature (which uses
different machines for different records, allowing writes to happen very
quickly).

Also, depending on what your needs are, a relational database might not
be right for you. You say you need transactions, but if you're comparing
to MySQL's master-master, I don't think that even supports ACID
transactions. Do you actually need transactions, or just many writes per
second (perhaps to memory rather than disk)?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis