Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От Keith C. Perry
Тема Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Quoting Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>:

> Keith C. Perry wrote:
> > I meant to ask this question weeks ago but is v1.6's handling of byteas the
> same
> > as v1.4.3's?  With v1.4.3. I noticed that when I open tables with byteas,
> it
> > either takes a "very long time " or the client hangs.  I think I asked
> this
> > before but isn't there a way to "handle" (i.e. ignore?) bytea data when
> editing
> > tables since as a far as I can think, such a data type would not be
> entered
> > manually anyway?
> >
> > To work on my tables with this type, I've been using a view of that type
> with
> > everything except the bytea field so I can at least see the data but
> updating is
> > a pain because I have use the SQL dialog and do things manually.  I'm a
> little
> > out of touch with what PG supports at this point but are updatable views
> an
> > option?  If so does 1.6 support it?
> >
> > I'll leave it to you good people to tell me what is the best way to proceed
>  :)
>
> Hi Keith,
>
> I vaguely remember this issue now that you mention it, but it has
> obviously slipped through the net :-(.
>
> I've now committed a change that prevents the data being displayed in
> the grid (instead displaying "<Binary data>"), and makes the cell
> read-only. It will still select the data from the database though so if
> your bytea's are large and on the end of a slow network this fix won't
> help much unfortunately, but it should prevent any hangs or editting
> issues. Preventing the select will take more effort than I'd like at
> this stage of the release cycle.
>
> Regards, Dave.

Ahhh, ok- wow.  I wasn't even expecting anything for 1.6.0.  I thought I had
missed something  :)  How do I get what you commited?

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

Сообщение: Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's
Сообщение: Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's