Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgadmin3 1.6 handling of tables with bytea's
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Keith C. Perry wrote:
> I meant to ask this question weeks ago but is v1.6's handling of byteas the same
> as v1.4.3's?  With v1.4.3. I noticed that when I open tables with byteas, it
> either takes a "very long time " or the client hangs.  I think I asked this
> before but isn't there a way to "handle" (i.e. ignore?) bytea data when editing
> tables since as a far as I can think, such a data type would not be entered
> manually anyway?
>
> To work on my tables with this type, I've been using a view of that type with
> everything except the bytea field so I can at least see the data but updating is
> a pain because I have use the SQL dialog and do things manually.  I'm a little
> out of touch with what PG supports at this point but are updatable views an
> option?  If so does 1.6 support it?
>
> I'll leave it to you good people to tell me what is the best way to proceed  :)

Hi Keith,

I vaguely remember this issue now that you mention it, but it has
obviously slipped through the net :-(.

I've now committed a change that prevents the data being displayed in
the grid (instead displaying "<Binary data>"), and makes the cell
read-only. It will still select the data from the database though so if
your bytea's are large and on the end of a slow network this fix won't
help much unfortunately, but it should prevent any hangs or editting
issues. Preventing the select will take more effort than I'd like at
this stage of the release cycle.

Regards, Dave.