Re: problems installing postgresql 8.0 on Mac OS 10.3.9

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: problems installing postgresql 8.0 on Mac OS 10.3.9
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
jbar@es.co.nz writes:
> Background: I was reading a book titled Mac OS X Hacks, which has a
> brief section on installing PostgreSQL. It suggested one start by
> installing Fink, which I successfully did. Then I used FinkCommander
> to install PostgreSQL 8.0, which seemed to be successful (it reported
> no problems).

I recall hearing complaints that the Fink packaging of Postgres was
bizarrely nonstandard.  I don't recall any details, but it might be
worth your trouble to troll the PG list archives for mentions of Fink.

Anyway, it sounds like Fink installed the software but didn't actually
start the database server for you (which is a good thing, really).
Your next steps are probably "initdb" and then "pg_ctl start".
You might be able to use pgadmin3 to do those for you.