Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> On tis, 2009-11-10 at 17:15 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I was wondering what we ought to do about this.  I can't find any clear
>> documentation about these locales on my Mac, but it sure looks like they
>> are effectively encoding-agnostic, which means that it might be
>> reasonable to default to SQL_ASCII --- anyway there is certainly not any
>> basis for selecting a different default.  However, if we want to do that
>> it's not a one-liner change, because the API for
>> pg_get_encoding_from_locale isn't designed to allow for this.

> Well, --locale=C results in encoding SQL_ASCII, and the encoding of
> locale C is in fact by definition US-ASCII.  So any locale that
> explicitly claims it is US-ASCII should have the same result.

Okay.  Then we need to fix pg_get_encoding_from_locale to distinguish
"I don't know the locale's encoding" from "I know the encoding and it's
SQL_ASCII".  I'm inclined to make it return -1 for the former,
which is a bit ugly but should be safe.  The alternative is a separate
boolean output, which seems uglier.  Comments?