Обсуждение: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

От
"Boh Yap"
Дата:

Bug reference:      5178
Logged by:          Boh Yap
Email address:      bhyz00@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1
Operating system:   Mac OSX 10.5.8
Details:

installing from src,
after doing ./configure and make,
make check
failed, when trying to initdb,  with this message in log:

  could not determine encoding for locale "en_AU.US-ASCII": codeset is
"US-ASCII"

but "en_AU.US-ASCII" is in /usr/share/locale

my LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_COLLATE all contain the above locale value.

did not proceed with install as I suspect initdb will fail.

Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On tis, 2009-11-10 at 20:45 +0000, Boh Yap wrote:
> make check
> failed, when trying to initdb,  with this message in log:
>
>   could not determine encoding for locale "en_AU.US-ASCII": codeset is
> "US-ASCII"

Try using a different locale.

Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

Дата:
> On tis, 2009-11-10 at 20:45 +0000, Boh Yap wrote:
>> could not determine encoding for locale "en_AU.US-ASCII": codeset is
>> "US-ASCII"

> Try using a different locale.

Or specify an encoding explicitly.

I was wondering what we ought to do about this.  I can't find any clear
documentation about these locales on my Mac, but it sure looks like they
are effectively encoding-agnostic, which means that it might be
reasonable to default to SQL_ASCII --- anyway there is certainly not any
basis for selecting a different default.  However, if we want to do that
it's not a one-liner change, because the API for
pg_get_encoding_from_locale isn't designed to allow for this.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On tis, 2009-11-10 at 17:15 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I was wondering what we ought to do about this.  I can't find any clear
> documentation about these locales on my Mac, but it sure looks like they
> are effectively encoding-agnostic, which means that it might be
> reasonable to default to SQL_ASCII --- anyway there is certainly not any
> basis for selecting a different default.  However, if we want to do that
> it's not a one-liner change, because the API for
> pg_get_encoding_from_locale isn't designed to allow for this.

Well, --locale=C results in encoding SQL_ASCII, and the encoding of
locale C is in fact by definition US-ASCII.  So any locale that
explicitly claims it is US-ASCII should have the same result.

Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

Дата:
> On tis, 2009-11-10 at 17:15 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I was wondering what we ought to do about this.  I can't find any clear
>> documentation about these locales on my Mac, but it sure looks like they
>> are effectively encoding-agnostic, which means that it might be
>> reasonable to default to SQL_ASCII --- anyway there is certainly not any
>> basis for selecting a different default.  However, if we want to do that
>> it's not a one-liner change, because the API for
>> pg_get_encoding_from_locale isn't designed to allow for this.

> Well, --locale=C results in encoding SQL_ASCII, and the encoding of
> locale C is in fact by definition US-ASCII.  So any locale that
> explicitly claims it is US-ASCII should have the same result.

Okay.  Then we need to fix pg_get_encoding_from_locale to distinguish
"I don't know the locale's encoding" from "I know the encoding and it's
SQL_ASCII".  I'm inclined to make it return -1 for the former,
which is a bit ugly but should be safe.  The alternative is a separate
boolean output, which seems uglier.  Comments?

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2009-11-11 at 14:27 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Okay.  Then we need to fix pg_get_encoding_from_locale to distinguish
> "I don't know the locale's encoding" from "I know the encoding and
> it's
> SQL_ASCII".  I'm inclined to make it return -1 for the former,

Makes sense.

The other alternative is to create a real 7-bit ASCII encoding, but I
doubt it's worth the effort.

Re: BUG #5178: make check fails because of locale en_AU.US-ASCII

Дата:
> The other alternative is to create a real 7-bit ASCII encoding, but I
> doubt it's worth the effort.

Yeah, I considered that for about two seconds ...

            regards, tom lane