Re: postgres dying

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: postgres dying
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 12:03, Callis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Please pardon me if it sound naive or its been answered.
> I am running freeradius with postgresql for VOIP with
> Cisco gateways. But my server keeps dying and after tuning
> the SHMMX and number of connections and all that i still
> get the same results.
>
> Any form of help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Most of the time this happens, PostgreSQL isn't dying so much as being
euthanized by the OS for some reason.

Perhaps you're hitting the oom killer in the linux kernel, or you're
running it under a ulimit that results in it being killed.

If it is dying, is there anything in the postgresql logs showing why it
died?

Generally speaking, if the database starts up, the shmmax settings and
such are fine, as they are not particularly dynamic in their allocation.