Re: background triggers?

От Rafal Pietrak
Тема Re: background triggers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 07:41 -0400, Kenneth Downs wrote:

> Why not have the INSERT go to an "inbox" table, a table whose only job
> is to receive the data for future processing.

Actually, it 'sort of' works that way.

> Your client code should mark all rows with a batch number as they go
> in.  Then when the batch is loaded, simply invoke a stored procedure to
> process them.  Pass the stored procedure the batch number.

If I have that stored procedure and if I issue command that would launch
such stored procedure from "psql>" prompt: how long will I have to wait
for another prompt? 1) until the procedure ends its job. 2) right away,
the procedure does its job unabidedly 'in the background'.

My impression was, that I get the next prompt after the procedure
finishes, so it wouldn't be a solution. But if (2) applies, that is
really it.... Frankly, it would take me some time to get back to those
sources (and generate simulation data) - so anybody knows the answer?

-R