Re: background triggers?

От Kenneth Downs
Тема Re: background triggers?
Дата
Re: background triggers?  (Sim Zacks <sim@compulab.co.il>)
Список pgsql-general
Rafal Pietrak wrote:

>A plain INSERT of batch takes 5-10minutes on desktop postgresql (800MHz
>machine, ATA disks). When I attach trigger (*Very* simple funciton) to
>update the accounts, the INSERT take hours (2-4). But when I make just
>one single update of all accounts at the end of the batch insert, it
>takes 20-30min.

Why not have the INSERT go to an "inbox" table, a table whose only job
is to receive the data for future processing.

Your client code should mark all rows with a batch number as they go
in.  Then when the batch is loaded, simply invoke a stored procedure to
process them.  Pass the stored procedure the batch number.

IOW, have your "background trigger" be a stored procedure that is
invoked by the client, instead of trying to get the server to do it.

Вложения

От: Rafal Pietrak
Сообщение: Re: background triggers?
От: Alban Hertroys
Сообщение: Re: challenging constraint situation - how do I make it