Re: streamlined standby procedure

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: streamlined standby procedure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
OK, this is news to me, I recall that last looking at the configuration
docs it was start-up time, but I might be wrong.

[looking up the docs]

OK, citing the 8.1 online docs:

17.5.3. Archiving

archive_command (string)              The shell command to execute to archive a completed segment of       the WAL file
series.If this is an empty string (the default),       WAL archiving is disabled. Any %p in the string is replaced by
   the absolute path of the file to archive, and any %f is replaced       by the file name only. Use %% to embed an
actual% character in       the command. For more information see Section 23.3.1. This       option can only be set at
serverstart or in the postgresql.conf              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^       file.               It is
importantfor the command to return a zero exit status if       and only if it succeeds. Examples:
archive_command= 'cp "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'       archive_command = 'copy "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'
#Windows

It's at least confusing... it does say "or in the postgresql.conf file" too, but I must have overlooked that... and the
"only"word is really confusing there.

[looking at: http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Downloads/annotated_conf_80.html]

OK, this is what confused me. The annotated conf file states it's a startup time parameter.

Well, good to know it's not...

Actually, my needs of PITR/standby building are mostly solved by now, but it's sure not an easy ride, and I really
wonderif there is any readily available script bundle to do it for a windows server...

Maybe a standby-building-tutorial is all what is needed...

Cheers,
Csaba.