Re: Installing Postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Installing Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Campbell, Lance" <lance@uiuc.edu> writes:
> The solution, based on emails I have received, is to install PostgreSQL
> into a subdirectory called "data".  I then move the contents of "data"
> back a directory.  This way I am able to have the files in the directory
> I want them in.  Even though the directory I wanted them in contains a
> subdirectory.  This is how you get around the issue.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

You appear to be impervious to several people telling you this is a
bad idea, but I will try one more time to explain why.  The reason you
see "lost+found" in that directory is that it is a volume mount point.
Volume mount point directories should *always* be owned by root, for
both reliability and security reasons.  The setup you are proposing
would have to have the mount point directory be postgres-owned.
You will live to regret that if you insist on doing it that way
(in fact, I'm astonished your sysadmin agreed to it in the first
place ... he must be pretty new at his job).

Stick with the extra level of directory.

> It appears that
> the PostgreSQL data directory contents can be moved.

Yeah, they can.  The argument here is about exactly where you are
proposing to move them to.  If it were an ordinary directory it'd be
fine.