Обсуждение: Installing Postgres

Installing Postgres

От
"Campbell, Lance"

OS: redhat linux

Version of PostgreSQL: 8.2.4

I had a group that now manages our server set up a directory/partition for us to put postgreSQL into.  The directory is called pgsql_data.  The directory is more than a regular directory.  It contains a subdirectory called “lost+found”.  I would assume this is a logical partition.  I tried installing postgreSQL directly into this directory but it failed since there is a file in this directory, “lost+found”.  Is there a way around this?  Worst case scenario I will create a subdirectory called data and put the install in there.  I would have preferred to put it directly into the pgsql_data.  There would be no other files that would have gone into the directory/partition other than postgreSQL.  Would it be possible for me to install postgreSQL into a sub directory of pgsql_data and then move the files up a directory into pgsql_data?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

University of Illinois

217.333.0382

http://webservices.uiuc.edu

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
> I had a group that now manages our server set up a directory/partition
> for us to put postgreSQL into.  The directory is called pgsql_data.  The
> directory is more than a regular directory.  It contains a subdirectory
> called "lost+found".  I would assume this is a logical partition.  I
> tried installing postgreSQL directly into this directory but it failed
> since there is a file in this directory, "lost+found".  Is there a way
> around this?  Worst case scenario I will create a subdirectory called
> data and put the install in there.  I would have preferred to put it

It is probably an ownership issue. If this is linux the mount is
probably owned by root. Create a sub directory in pgsql_data that is
owned by postgres called pgsql and install it in there.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> directly into the pgsql_data.  There would be no other files that would
> have gone into the directory/partition other than postgreSQL.  Would it
> be possible for me to install postgreSQL into a sub directory of
> pgsql_data and then move the files up a directory into pgsql_data?

> Thanks,
>

> Lance Campbell
>
> Project Manager/Software Architect
>
> Web Services at Public Affairs
>
> University of Illinois
>
> 217.333.0382
>
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Campbell, Lance"
Дата:
This is not an ownership issue.  It does try to install PostgreSQL.  It
complains because there is a file or directory in the directory where I
am installing PostgreSQL to.  The same thing will happen if I create a
directory called XYZ and place a file or directory inside of XYZ and
then try to install the database.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Project Manager/Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs
University of Illinois
217.333.0382
http://webservices.uiuc.edu

> I had a group that now manages our server set up a directory/partition
> for us to put postgreSQL into.  The directory is called pgsql_data.
The
> directory is more than a regular directory.  It contains a
subdirectory
> called "lost+found".  I would assume this is a logical partition.  I
> tried installing postgreSQL directly into this directory but it failed
> since there is a file in this directory, "lost+found".  Is there a way
> around this?  Worst case scenario I will create a subdirectory called
> data and put the install in there.  I would have preferred to put it

It is probably an ownership issue. If this is linux the mount is
probably owned by root. Create a sub directory in pgsql_data that is
owned by postgres called pgsql and install it in there.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> directly into the pgsql_data.  There would be no other files that
would
> have gone into the directory/partition other than postgreSQL.  Would
it
> be possible for me to install postgreSQL into a sub directory of
> pgsql_data and then move the files up a directory into pgsql_data?

> Thanks,
>

> Lance Campbell
>
> Project Manager/Software Architect
>
> Web Services at Public Affairs
>
> University of Illinois
>
> 217.333.0382
>
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Campbell, Lance wrote:
> This is not an ownership issue.  It does try to install PostgreSQL.  It
> complains because there is a file or directory in the directory where I
> am installing PostgreSQL to.  The same thing will happen if I create a
> directory called XYZ and place a file or directory inside of XYZ and
> then try to install the database.

*sigh*

How about an actual error message and the *exact* command you are typing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
>
> Lance Campbell
> Project Manager/Software Architect
> Web Services at Public Affairs
> University of Illinois
> 217.333.0382
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Campbell, Lance"
Дата:
Command I use to initialize the database with:

/usr/bin/initdb -D /abc/def/pgsql_data

Response:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"my_user".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

initdb: directory "/abc/def/pgsql_data" exists but is not empty
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory "/abc/def/pgsql_data" or run initdb
with an argument other than "/abc/def/pgsql_data".

As I stated in my original email there is a subdirectory in:
"/abc/def/pgsql_data" called "lost+found".

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Project Manager/Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs
University of Illinois
217.333.0382
http://webservices.uiuc.edu

> This is not an ownership issue.  It does try to install PostgreSQL.
It
> complains because there is a file or directory in the directory where
> am installing PostgreSQL to.  The same thing will happen if I create a
> directory called XYZ and place a file or directory inside of XYZ and
> then try to install the database.

*sigh*

How about an actual error message and the *exact* command you are
typing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
>
> Lance Campbell
> Project Manager/Software Architect
> Web Services at Public Affairs
> University of Illinois
> 217.333.0382
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Command I use to initialize the database with:
>
> /usr/bin/initdb -D /abc/def/pgsql_data
>
> Response:
>
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "my_user".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> initdb: directory "/abc/def/pgsql_data" exists but is not empty
> If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
> the directory "/abc/def/pgsql_data" or run initdb
> with an argument other than "/abc/def/pgsql_data".
>

> As I stated in my original email there is a subdirectory in:
> "/abc/def/pgsql_data" called "lost+found".

My solution still applies:

mkdir pgsql_data/pgsql
chown -R postgres.postgres pgsql_data/pgsql
initdb -D pgsql_data/pgsql/data

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
>
> Lance Campbell
> Project Manager/Software Architect
> Web Services at Public Affairs
> University of Illinois
> 217.333.0382
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Campbell, Lance"
Дата:
Joshua,
As I stated in my original email I know I can install the database in a
subdirectory of /abc/def/pgsql_data.  I know that.

Let me ask this of the listserv:  Is it possible to install the
PostgreSQL database in a directory and then move the directory later?

Example:  I install PostgreSQL to /abc/data can I move the files then to
/def/data?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Project Manager/Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs
University of Illinois
217.333.0382
http://webservices.uiuc.edu

> Command I use to initialize the database with:
>
> /usr/bin/initdb -D /abc/def/pgsql_data
>
> Response:
>
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "my_user".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> initdb: directory "/abc/def/pgsql_data" exists but is not empty
> If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
> the directory "/abc/def/pgsql_data" or run initdb
> with an argument other than "/abc/def/pgsql_data".
>

> As I stated in my original email there is a subdirectory in:
> "/abc/def/pgsql_data" called "lost+found".

My solution still applies:

mkdir pgsql_data/pgsql
chown -R postgres.postgres pgsql_data/pgsql
initdb -D pgsql_data/pgsql/data

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
>
> Lance Campbell
> Project Manager/Software Architect
> Web Services at Public Affairs
> University of Illinois
> 217.333.0382
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Joshua,
> As I stated in my original email I know I can install the database in a
> subdirectory of /abc/def/pgsql_data.  I know that.

You can not install into a mount point. That is your problem. That is
what the lost+found is telling you, that it is a mount point. You *must*
install into a directory on the mount point.

Which is why I gave you the solution I did.

> Let me ask this of the listserv:  Is it possible to install the
> PostgreSQL database in a directory and then move the directory later?

Yes, if you follow what I said above.

> Example:  I install PostgreSQL to /abc/data can I move the files then to
> /def/data?

If data is *not a mount point* yes, but you will want to move the whole
directory (with special cases for pg_log, and pg_xlog).

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
>
> Lance Campbell
> Project Manager/Software Architect
> Web Services at Public Affairs
> University of Illinois
> 217.333.0382
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Installing Postgres

Дата:
> Campbell, Lance wrote:
>> As I stated in my original email I know I can install the database in a
>> subdirectory of /abc/def/pgsql_data.  I know that.

> You can not install into a mount point. That is your problem. That is
> what the lost+found is telling you, that it is a mount point. You *must*
> install into a directory on the mount point.

Right.  If the mount directory isn't root-owned, it *should* be ---
your sysadmin erred by making it postgres-owned.  The correct
configuration is root-owned mount point, root-owned lost+found under it,
also postgres-owned data directory under it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Campbell, Lance"

Solution:

The solution, based on emails I have received, is to install PostgreSQL into a subdirectory called “data”.  I then move the contents of “data” back a directory.  This way I am able to have the files in the directory I want them in.  Even though the directory I wanted them in contains a subdirectory.  This is how you get around the issue.  It appears that the PostgreSQL data directory contents can be moved.  It is just important to make sure the database is shutdown before moving the data directory contents!  Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone.

[...]

Дата:
"Campbell, Lance" <lance@uiuc.edu> writes:
> The solution, based on emails I have received, is to install PostgreSQL
> into a subdirectory called "data".  I then move the contents of "data"
> back a directory.  This way I am able to have the files in the directory
> I want them in.  Even though the directory I wanted them in contains a
> subdirectory.  This is how you get around the issue.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

You appear to be impervious to several people telling you this is a
bad idea, but I will try one more time to explain why.  The reason you
see "lost+found" in that directory is that it is a volume mount point.
Volume mount point directories should *always* be owned by root, for
both reliability and security reasons.  The setup you are proposing
would have to have the mount point directory be postgres-owned.
You will live to regret that if you insist on doing it that way
(in fact, I'm astonished your sysadmin agreed to it in the first
place ... he must be pretty new at his job).

Stick with the extra level of directory.

> It appears that
> the PostgreSQL data directory contents can be moved.

Yeah, they can.  The argument here is about exactly where you are
proposing to move them to.  If it were an ordinary directory it'd be
fine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Campbell, Lance"
Дата:
Tom,
In the end I set up the data directory as a subdirectory that had the
current version number of PostgreSQL in the name.  When I upgrade in the
future to a new version of PostgreSQL I will create a new data
subdirectory using the new version number in the name.  I will then load
that database from the prior version.  It will make falling back on a
prior version easier and more organized.

I agree that using a subdirectory is a better strategy.

It is nice to know that you can actually move the database by simply
moving the files.  That does assume you shut down the database first.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Project Manager/Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs
University of Illinois
217.333.0382
http://webservices.uiuc.edu

> The solution, based on emails I have received, is to install
PostgreSQL
> into a subdirectory called "data".  I then move the contents of "data"
> back a directory.  This way I am able to have the files in the
directory
> I want them in.  Even though the directory I wanted them in contains a
> subdirectory.  This is how you get around the issue.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

You appear to be impervious to several people telling you this is a
bad idea, but I will try one more time to explain why.  The reason you
see "lost+found" in that directory is that it is a volume mount point.
Volume mount point directories should *always* be owned by root, for
both reliability and security reasons.  The setup you are proposing
would have to have the mount point directory be postgres-owned.
You will live to regret that if you insist on doing it that way
(in fact, I'm astonished your sysadmin agreed to it in the first
place ... he must be pretty new at his job).

Stick with the extra level of directory.

> It appears that
> the PostgreSQL data directory contents can be moved.

Yeah, they can.  The argument here is about exactly where you are
proposing to move them to.  If it were an ordinary directory it'd be
fine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing Postgres

От
"Medi Montaseri"
Дата:
Just dont get into the habbit of moving db files around like too much....filesystems will spead your files all over the place and your database will slow down....

Medi

It is nice to know that you can actually move the database by simply
moving the files.  That does assume you shut down the database first.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Project Manager/Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs
University of Illinois
217.333.0382
http://webservices.uiuc.edu

> The solution, based on emails I have received, is to install
PostgreSQL
> into a subdirectory called "data".  I then move the contents of "data"
> back a directory.  This way I am able to have the files in the
directory
> I want them in.  Even though the directory I wanted them in contains a
> subdirectory.  This is how you get around the issue.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

You appear to be impervious to several people telling you this is a
bad idea, but I will try one more time to explain why.  The reason you
see "lost+found" in that directory is that it is a volume mount point.
Volume mount point directories should *always* be owned by root, for
both reliability and security reasons.  The setup you are proposing
would have to have the mount point directory be postgres-owned.
You will live to regret that if you insist on doing it that way
(in fact, I'm astonished your sysadmin agreed to it in the first
place ... he must be pretty new at his job).

Stick with the extra level of directory.

> It appears that
> the PostgreSQL data directory contents can be moved.

Yeah, they can.  The argument here is about exactly where you are
proposing to move them to.  If it were an ordinary directory it'd be
fine.

       match