Re: postgres installed via rpms -can't run postmaster or

От Eric M. Wulff
Тема Re: postgres installed via rpms -can't run postmaster or
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
This is very helpful.  My next problem is setting up a db.  createdb fails...

"psql: FATAL:  user "blah" does not exist
createdb: database creation failed"

The user is either myself or root.  Of course, doesn't like root.   How
do I get psql to recognize me as a user.

fyi - I'm on redhat 8.0.  Can anyone refer me to documentation for
configuring if installed via rpm?  The docs on postgres.org seem to refer
to deeper darker operations than I need.  The README.rpm-dist alluded that
might need to set the config file for tcpip.  Did that. Still didn't help.
Redhat is more often refereeing to Red Hat db.  I am missing something.Also,
I have now studied the server start script somewhat but that hasn't shed
any light on the issue either.

thx much
Eric

> On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 10:42, Mailing List wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I am relatively new to Linux and just installed postgres via rpms.
> > > I think.  However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to start up
> > > postmaster or psql.
> >
> > If you installed via RPMS you're probably using Red Hat Linux (or
> > something similar). Then you should rely on your OS' startup script.
> > As root give:
> >
> >   /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
> >
> > to start your PostgreSQL server.
> >

> > > psql - I keep getting the following error when running psql...
> > >
> > > "psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> > >         Is the server running locally and accepting
> > >         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.1234"?"
> > >
> > > How do I find out if the server is running locally and accepting
> > > connections on Unix domain socket?
> >
> > It is not, apperantly...
> >

> > > postmaster - I keep getting the following error when trying to start
> > > postmaster...
> > >
> > > "postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
> > > You must specify the directory that contains the database system
> > > either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the
> > > PGDATA environment variable."
> >
> > Look at Red Hat's startup script: without the environment variables
> > defined therein the postmaster is lost...
> >

> > > Oh, and another thing I'm confused about is...  I tried to install these
> > > in /usr/local/bin, that's where the rpms are, but they wound up in
> > > /usr/lib.  Any idea why that might be?  I rpm'd from /usr/local/bin
> >
> > RPMs install at locations specified in the packages. You can't really
> > influence that (ok, you can, but you need to know what you are doing...)
> >

> > Bye, Chris.

Сообщение: Re: postgres installed via rpms -can't run postmaster or postgres
Сообщение: Re: postgres installed via rpms -can't run postmaster or