Re: massive quotes?

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane kirjutas P, 14.09.2003 kell 18:58:
> "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
> > I think calling it 'here-document' quoting is possibly unwise - it is
> > sufficiently different from here documents in shell and perl contexts to
> > make it confusing.
>
> I agree.  I've tried to think of a better alternative name, but without
> much success.
>
> > We could call it meta-quoting, or alternative quoting, maybe.
>
> Those seem pretty unmemorable and content-free, though.  Any other ideas
> out there?

Considering that we use $$ instead of quotes we could call it dollarring
instead of quoting ;)

Or if we were politicians we could call it "memorable contentful
meta-quoting" to squish any opposition in the bud ;) ;)

I've done lot of programming in python, and while the python tradition
generally calls for exactly one syntax for one concept, they have at
least 4 ways for quoting -- ' and  " for one-line strings and ''' and
""" for multi-line ones. While this could have been transferrable to
Pl/PgSQL, it would not fly for full pl/python.

So I would propose "adaptable quoting" or "multi-language-aware" (or
-savvy for mac-heads) quoting, or just dollar-quoting, $-quoting or $x$
quoting. None of these is completely self-explanatory but that is what
TFM is for.

To be nearly self-explanatory for we could use '"$[a-z]*$"-quoting' but
then someone would have to post .wav files with the correct spelling :)

double-dollar quoting feels good to say aloud ...

--------
Hannu

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL on Novell Netware 6.5.
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL on Novell Netware 6.5.