Re: massive quotes?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Re: massive quotes?  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
Re: massive quotes?  (Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
> I think calling it 'here-document' quoting is possibly unwise - it is
> sufficiently different from here documents in shell and perl contexts to
> make it confusing.

I agree.  I've tried to think of a better alternative name, but without
much success.

> We could call it meta-quoting, or alternative quoting, maybe.

Those seem pretty unmemorable and content-free, though.  Any other ideas
out there?
        regards, tom lane

PS: btw, I have realized that the seemingly obvious algorithm for
choosing a delimiter string for given text is wrong.  I had imagined it
as "try $$, $Q$, $QQ$, $QQQ$, etc, until you find a delimiter not
present in the given text string".  This is not right because, for
example, if the string ends with $Q then $Q$ is not a usable delimiter
($Q$...$Q$Q$ would be misparsed).  The simplest correct algorithm is
"try $, $Q, $QQ, $QQQ, etc until you find a string not present in the
given text string; then use that with a $ appended".